Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kale salad with garlic dressing

I'll be honest here.  Kale is not one of my favorite vegetables.  It is however a nutritional powerhouse loaded with vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids and fiber making it very worthy of consumption.  I normally throw it in my smoothies and drink it down.  I was in Portland last week-end visiting my sister Liz and her family.  Liz loves kale and she has inspired me to give it another try.  So I created a salad featuring kale as the main ingredient and I actually love eating it this way.  Who knew?  Thanks Liz!

1 bunch fresh kale
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
3 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil

Wash kale and trim off ends.
Chop kale into very small pieces.
Place garlic, dijon, lemon juice and salt in a mini food processor and blend well.
With food processor running, slowly add olive oil until combined.
Place kale, pine nuts and parmesan in salad bowl.
Add half of the dressing and toss.
Reserve remaining dressing for later use.





kale, pine nuts, and parmesan

garlic dressing

enjoy

2 comments: