Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Grain-Free Bread



When I couldn't eat any grains I experimented with a lot of grain-free bread recipes.  This one is by far the best I've made.  It is the Pumpernickel Bread from the book "Healing Foods, Cooking for Celiacs, Colitis, Crohn's and IBS" by Sandra Ramacher.  It is wonderful toasted with peanut butter, bananas, and honey or used for sandwiches of any kind.

1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp honey

Preheat oven to 300.
Lightly butter a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
Place walnuts and sunflower seeds in a food processor and chop for 5 seconds.
Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and mix.
In a separate bowl whisk eggs, butter and honey until fluffy.
Add egg mixture to food processor and process until well combined.
The dough will be thick and heavy.
Spread dough into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until top is browned and cracked.
The bread will be firm to the touch.
Let cool for 10 minutes.
Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or slice and freeze.



walnuts and sunflower seeds

chopped for 5 seconds

almond flour from Trader Joe's

eggs, butter and honey

whisked

thick dough

pressed in loaf pan to bake

enjoy
 

Sandra Ramacher's book

2 comments:

  1. I am visiting from Suzanne's today...keep it up! I have Crohn's which is why I chose to comment on this one. I am looking for a bread recipe that I can make..wondering about this one. My daughter is 11 and is it something she would like? I want something lighter than Ezekiel breads etc..for her nut butter sandwiches.
    I am thinking of spelt with a starter..not pkg. yeast.
    OK..enough info. but I am going to try those avacado burgers..they look so yummy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffini,

    Welcome to Emily's Kitchen.  I am so sorry to hear that you have Crohns disease.  If you read my story you know that I have/had it too.  I did the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for 18 months and have been in remission (or I feel healed) and off all meds for 3 years now.

    This grain-free bread is a dense bread.  In the same book I got that recipe from, there is a recipe for light white bread.  I haven't tried it but here it is.  It calls for SCD yogurt which is basically homemade yogurt that has fermented for 24 hours to produce more good bacteria that eat up all the lactose and make it easily digestible.  I am sure you could substitute plain yogurt if you are not following the SCD.

    2 1/2 c. almond flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 eggs separated
    1 c SCD yogurt
    1 Tbsp honey

    Preheat oven to 300.
    Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
    In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and salt.  Whisk the egg yolks with the yogurt and honey until light and fluffy.
    Beat the egg whites until stiff.
    combine the egg yolk mixture with the almond flour and mix until smooth.
    Add the stiff egg whites and gently blend.
    Pour into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
    Let cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete