Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finishing Salt

 A few years ago my good friend Deb gave me this wonderful black finishing salt for my birthday.  I enjoyed using it so much that it has since become a staple in my pantry.  Finishing salt is really sea salt that is unrefined and derived directly from a living ocean or sea.  It is harvested by funneling ocean water into large clay trays and allowing the sun and wind to evaporate it naturally.  Since it hasn't been processed it still contains natural traces of valuable minerals including iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine.  These salts come a in a variety of colors including white, grey, pink, green, brown and black.  One of my favorite ways to use my black finishing salt is on grilled vegetables.  I cut up whatever vegetables I plan to grill and toss them with a little olive oil.  I  grill them in a grill basket over medium-high heat and then sprinkle with the salt before serving.  My daughters love it!  It is fantastic on fresh pineapple and watermelon too.  Specialty food stores and some grocery stores carry finishing salts.  The kind I have is from Williams Sonoma.

black sea salt

vegetables tossed with olive oil

ready to cook on the grill

grilled vegetables with black finishing salt

5 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I like eating veggies, But I love eating veggies cooked on the grill with your recipe. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thanks for sharing your insights and these wonderfuly photographs -- I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks easy...about how long do the vegetables cook?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the peppers, onions and asparagus about 5 minutes. If you grill squashes or root vegetables they will take a few minutes longer.

    ReplyDelete