Thursday, May 5, 2011

Avocado Burgers

These avocado burgers are a family favorite.  My mother made them often during the summer when I was growing up.  It is still one of the menu items most requested by my sisters and I when she cooks to celebrate our birthdays.  They are easy to make and packed with flavor.  The avocado makes them extra tender and moist.  I like to use organic grass-fed beef.  It is worth paying a little extra for.  If you want to know more about why that is, check out the movie Food Inc.  It is very eye-opening.  With all the added ingredients the patties are fragile and need a little extra care when grilling, but it is well worth it!

In a mixing bowl combine 2 lbs ground beef, 1 mashed avocado,  a 4oz can of diced green chilis, 1/4 cup chopped green onion, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1 Tbsp lemon pepper, and 1 tsp salt.

Use your hands or a potato masher to mix well.

Form into 8 patties and grill over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.  Top with shredded monterey jack cheese for the last minute of cooking.

Serve on a toasted whole-grain bun with fresh sliced tomatoes.
These are also great without the bun served over mixed greens.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. the best burger ever!!!!!!!!!!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making these tonight!!! Except Turkey...hope they taste as yummy as yours look! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I crave these burgers, avocado and hamburger were meant to be together. When I eat a regular burger it is just not the same.
    Thank you for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, these look and sound fantastic! I'm off to the grocery store and will be enjoying these for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Suzanne made these for me and it was seriously the best burger I've ever had. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete